Monday, April 24, 2006

Freedom To Marry


Okay, I have to be honest....the human right for gays and lesbians to marry was never a really big deal for me. Let me say, I thought If this was what the 2 individuals wanted, then by all means I was in support. I guess you could just say, my dog was never in that fight.

Then, oneday I saw 2 womyn of color, 2 sistahs, jumping the broom. I began to see images of myself take a place in society, that I had never witnessed before. My opinions, thoughts and beliefs began reshaping.

I began to feel better as an woman of color, an african american who the world labels lesbian.

Don't get me wrong there wasn't or isn't any shame, but it was truly wonderful to see those representations/images of oneself. Just like when Mrs. Parker, Monique held the Big Grrl Pageant, Oh I was on it. Everybody is not a size 3/4 or 7/8. I know I'm not. And, just to set the record straight I LOVE my hips, thighs, cellulite and my few extra pounds. Hell, I love me. But, anyways....

What I'm saying is positive images of your culture, your race etc. does play a part whether we like it or not. How could it not? Look at what negative images and stereotyping does.

Freedom To Marry is a "gay and nongay partnership, that is working to win marriage equality nationwide." "Evan Wolfson, founder and Civil Rights attorney has been a leader for the movement. For more information, http://www.freedomtomarry.org/.

In A Minute...Pinklillies On A Beautiful Day!